Cabinets are one of the most prominent features of a kitchen. They not only provide storage space but can dramatically improve the style and overall value of your home while making your kitchen look luxurious. That’s why they’re among the top items to select during a kitchen renovation.
The most common consumer choice is readymade cabinets as they’re practical and economical. But have you ever considered custom-made kitchen cabinets? If not, here are a few of their benefits.
Why Choose Custom-Made Kitchen Cabinets?
The features of kitchen cabinets determine how functional and attractive your kitchen will be. With custom-made cabinets, you can choose the cabinet material, design, size and door style.
1) Personalized to Meet Your Needs
Custom cabinets are built to fit your lifestyle, cooking habits, design preferences and kitchen space. Have an unconventional floor plan? Premade cabinets can’t be adjusted to your kitchen space because they’re made for generic layouts. Custom cabinets, on the other hand, can be built to any space, irrespective of your kitchen layout. This lets them take advantage of every inch of space to give a fitted look.
2) You Pick the Materials
You can choose which material to make your custom kitchen cabinets. You decide the wood, finish, stain, style and hardware to best match your decor and taste. This is not possible with prefabricated kitchen cabinets made on assembly lines.
3) Endless Options
With custom kitchen cabinets, you can choose from a wide array of materials and finishes to create something unique.
4) Additional Storage Space
You decide the size of your custom kitchen cabinets so you can get more storage space than a ready-to-assemble unit. You can have more drawers, a cabinet with pocket doors, or a separate section to store appliances.
5) More Functional
Custom kitchen cabinets allow you to personalize their functionality. Example: say, your store-bought cabinets are made for someone who is 5’7” but you’re less than 5′? Custom cabinets can be designed for your height.
6) High-Quality Final Product
Kitchen cabinets are handcrafted by skilled cabinetmakers. This means the details, materials and finishes are unique and of high quality. As a result, these cabinets are built to last, with attention paid to detail. It’s not just a piece of furniture but an essential design element that makes a statement.
7) Long-Term Value
Customized cabinets are high-quality and long-lasting. They help you save space and increase your kitchen’s functionality. All are factors that make custom cabinets a valuable addition to your home. If you ever plan to sell it, the cabinets will make a difference in its value as homebuyers prefer properties with durable and functional elements.
Useful Tips to Buying the Perfect Custom Kitchen Cabinets
If you’re remodelling your kitchen and thinking about custom kitchen cabinets, here are a few tips to buying the perfect unit.
- Consider your kitchen’s design as the cabinets need to fit style-wise. Knowing what will match the space will narrow down your search and make the selection easier. For instance, for a traditional, country-style or rustic kitchen, choose framed cabinets whereas frameless cabinets works best with contemporary kitchens.
- Custom kitchen cabinets take anywhere from two to eight weeks to construct. If you’re looking to give your kitchen a quick makeover, pick prefabricated cabinets instead.
- Choose high-quality solid woods, like red oak, maple, or mahogany, as these last longer than plywood or particleboard and are secured with nails and screws for durability.
- Maximize your cabinet space by including useful add-ons like a pull-out spice rack, interior hooks to hang pots and pans, and wire racks to hold dishes.
- If you have a small kitchen, choose open shelving or drawers instead of swinging doors as they take up more space when opened.
- Integrated lighting will not only make your space stunning but is also a helpful addition for that midnight snack. From under-cabinet lights to LED strips along the cabinets, there are many options.
- Choose full-extension drawer slides instead of integrated side rails or under-mounted double-roller designs. These allow drawers to open the full length of the side, thus providing greater access than other counterparts. Make sure you specify that to your cabinet maker.
- Make sure you add in the costs of extra features and accessories you include in your cabinet design.
Selecting new cabinets can be a big kitchen renovation expense so make sure it not only fits your kitchen space but your lifestyle. This isn’t possible with in-stock cabinetry, but your custom-made kitchen cabinets let you create your perfect kitchen space. Just be sure to hire experienced and trustworthy kitchen contractors and cabinet makers. That allows the final product to match your expectations and make your kitchen a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.