Cabinets play a key role in the design and functionality of your bathroom. From providing storage space to adding style and colour, they’re an essential part of any bathroom remodelling project.
Custom bathroom vanities can help you achieve your desired look because they allow you to choose the material, size, colour and design you want. But they have limitations. Check out this post on the pros and cons of custom bathroom cabinets to learn whether they’re the right choice for you.
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Custom Bathroom Cabinets
Are you planning to buy new bathroom cabinets? Have you thought about getting them custom-made? Doing so includes all the elements you want to make your bathroom space more functional.
Let’s evaluate the benefits and drawbacks of custom bathroom cabinets so you can make a more informed decision.
- They Fit Your Bathroom Space
The best thing about a custom-built bathroom cabinet is that it’s designed to fit your space perfectly, unlike prefabricated ones which may require adjustment. For example, if you have a small bathroom, you would design a low-profile, wall-mounted cabinet to maximize the available space. If you have a large bathroom, you have many more options.
- They Allow You to Personalize Everything
Your new bathroom cabinets will be tailored to your needs. You can personalize anything from the length you want to the style to match your existing decor. There are several materials and finishes to choose from so you get exactly what you want in your bathroom cabinets. You can also select the decorative enhancements and hardware which are important for complementing the look of your bathroom cabinets.
- They Are Unique
Mass-produced cabinets are by definition and their selection is limited, whereas a custom bathroom cabinet is one of a kind because you design it.
- They Make Your Bathroom More Functional
As mentioned, custom cabinets are tailored to your needs, so you can add whatever you want. These could include separate sections for you and your partner, built-in drawers, more storage space or floor-to-ceiling cabinets. In short, a customized unit will make your bathroom more functional.
- They Are of High Quality
Ready-to-assemble cabinets are made in bulk which can sometimes lead to compromised quality. However, that’s not the case with a personalized cabinet. You can check the quality of the material, the knobs and pulls before they are used to fabricate your cabinets.
- They’re Long Lasting
Custom cabinets last longer than ready-made units because the material is of your choice, thus ensuring quality and excellent craftsmanship, especially if you partner with a reputable bathroom cabinet maker.
- They’re Expensive
Sometimes you have to choose between budget and quality. Custom bathroom cabinets by definition cost more and are of better quality than prefabricated ones since mass-production brings down the cost of raw materials, labour and quality. If you’re on a limited budget, custom cabinets are not an option.
- They Have Longer Turnaround Time
Building a custom bathroom cabinet can take anywhere from two to eight weeks of manual labour depending on its size. If you’re looking to quickly making over your bathroom, go with a prefabricated cabinet.
- Final Results May Vary
Custom bathroom cabinets, as noted, are meant to fit your bathroom space exactly. But, craftsmanship does vary from cabinetmaker to cabinetmaker, so your final product may not be exactly how you envisioned it.
How to Design a Beautiful Custom Bathroom Cabinet
Once you’ve evaluated their pros and cons and decided to order one, use this quick guide to help you design a beautiful your custom bathroom cabinets.
- The first thing to decide is the layout. You have to know where your cabinets will be installed and how big they’ll be. For example, will it be a horizontal cabinet or a vertical one? If you have space, you can top the cabinets with a sink to create a vanity for a luxurious touch. Or go for an understated wall-mounted one if you lack space.
- Next, determine the style. Do you want a traditional or modern bathroom cabinet? What type of drawers do you want? Will they be painted or stained? Make these decisions based on your bathroom decor while keeping them practical.
- Now choose the material. Consider durability, quality, maintenance, price and how well the cabinet will withstand moisture.
- How much storage do you need? Custom bathroom cabinets generally provide more than prefabricated ones. Decide the number of drawers and separate sections for you and anyone else using the space.
- If you’re inspired by a cabinet you’ve seen in a magazine or on Instagram, make sure you share it with the cabinetmaker.
Custom bathroom cabinets are a great way to give your bathroom a unique look and increase your storage space. But they’re more expensive and take longer to build than prefabricated ones. To shop smartly, weigh the pros and cons of custom cabinets as discussed above. Want to know more about giving your bathroom a makeover or want help with your bathroom remodelling project? Give us a call or visit one of our stores in Markham, Vaughan or Mississauga.