Do you pin or bookmark impressive kitchen images as soon as you come across them? Are you enjoying visits to your perfectionist neighbour obsessed with interior décor, because you get ideas about the latest design trends? All these have become your hobby ever since you felt that your kitchen needs a face-lift. But have you considered where to begin from so the makeover project runs smoothly?
This post by your friends from CGD Cabinetry is the ultimate guide to plan a seamless kitchen remodeling timeline.
Consider the Utility
The kitchen is used in different ways in different households. The appliances and designs have to be chosen according to the requirements you have. In short, the utility of your kitchen must be considered to make sure you plan the remodeling judiciously. Consider,
- The number of people who live and dine in the house regularly.
- How frequently the kitchen is used for cooking full-course meals.
- The height of the persons who usually do the cooking chores.
- The methods of cooking they are comfortable with- for e.g. Are they comfortable with pots and pans or prefer the microwave?
- Your preferred storage capacity and what kind of kitchen items you need to store.
- Your present seating arrangement and whether you need to enhance it.
Take inspiration from every possible source while keeping in mind your personal requirements. The chosen layout of the kitchen and the features must be on par with your lifestyle choices. For e.g., if you are an absolute coffee-lover, a space dedicated to your espresso machine has to be allotted to satisfy your coffee cravings quickly.
Set the Budget
The budget of the kitchen remodeling must be realistic. Usually, the standard kitchen remodeling services cost approximately 6 to 10% of your home value. When you set a realistic budget, you will be able to make sure you get your desired kitchen layout without any compromise.
- Research the cost of installation and the budget allotment you must have for different items required for the entire procedure. About 29% of the total estimated budget is taken up by cabinetry and hardware materials. The installations and designs take up approximately 22%. Painting and repairing the walls, ceiling, floors, and doors account for 16% of the budget. The ventilation and appliances require 14% of the total cost. The rest goes into the countertop, electrical works and plumbing.
- Add 10% extra to the entire budget for coping up with unexpected and unplanned expenditures that may arise later on.
- Hidden costs like shipping, additional labours charges, taxes, should be taken into consideration and adding them up while planning the budget to prevent unwanted hold-ups while executing the remodelling
Do not compromise on the quality to set a smaller budget as this will cost you heavily in the near future. Also, invest only in the necessary items rather than choosing materials only because they look fancy.
Choose the Layout
The layout of the kitchen must be functional ensuring you have ample leg space without compromising on the storage. While choosing the layout, you have to consider the following:
- The number of people who are usually working in the kitchen at the same time.
- Island set-up is a good option only if you have the space for it.
- Placement of the stove, sink and refrigerator must be such that you can easily manoeuvre between them as necessary.
- The existing layout and whether it blends well with the present renovations are an important factor to consider when you are opting for kitchen remodeling
- The layout should be such that there will be space for more than one person to cook at a time.
Size of the cabinets has to be considered too so that the kitchen area does not appear too congested.
Determine the Finish and Fixtures
This is where your months of pinning different kitchen designs and images will help. The choice of fixtures, floors, cabinet materials, countertop, backsplash altogether creates the perfect kitchen. Each one has to be chosen and envisioned together to make sure the overall outcome looks commendable.
- The chosen finish and fixtures must be at sync with the theme of your home décor. The kitchen remodeling can vary from chic urban style to rustic design and the finishes depend largely on the chosen theme.
- The lighting has a major influence on how the remodeling will appear to the viewers and must be chosen to keep the overall style in mind. At the same time, do make sure that the lighting fixtures you chose are sufficient to illuminate the space well.
- Colours used have to be determined to keep in mind how it complements your entire home décor.
Quality must be prioritized while choosing the various fixtures, hardware and appliances so that the fixtures are durable and functional in the long run.
Hire the Contractors
Even if you are opting for a DIY kitchen renovation, at some point, you will need the help of the professionals. If you need a complete customization of the kitchen area, using contractors who are proficient at providing such customization is the best option. Stick to your vision on the kitchen remodeling and present them to the hired contractors who will be able to say whether your ideas are completely feasible.
The kitchen remodeling is a time-consuming affair and can alter the overall look of your home to a large extent. Planning it thoroughly is necessary for a smooth execution. The above mentioned are the tasks associated with the entire procedures to be followed to achieve the desired outcome.
You can explore the designs and previously executed projects of CDG Cabinetry at the showroom, if you are looking for kitchen remodeling services in Canada.